Monday, April 9, 2012

Wite-Out


Maybe it's just me, but I absolutely hate Wite-out. Every time I see it used I cringe a bit. I thought maybe it was because I spent 10 years in social services and Wite-out wasn't allowed because all documents were legal documents, held up a court of law. In lieu of using Wite-Out, we were to draw a single line (not a scribble) through the incorrect word, and write the correct word next to it. Just recently, I've given this concept some thought as it relates to the life and times of LaSondra.

In life, we all make what many refer to as mistakes. I, personally, don't believe in mistakes, simply because I believe in purpose. I believe that everything in life happens WITH purpose and ON purpose, whether it's planned or not. But for the sake of making my point, we all make mistakes, mistakes that cannot be infinitely erased, permanently covered up, or perpetually whited out. I'm reminded of the popular saying: "What happens in the dark shall come to light." I've heard this oh so many times and thought that it was just an old saying passed down from generation to generation. Imagine my surprise when I found it in the Bible.

Luke 18:17 says. "For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad."

Now I know why I hate Wite-Out. It's because it's not representative of the life we live...or at least not the life that I live. Yeah, I've done some things in life I shouldn't have done. Yeah, I've said some things and gone some places I had no business whatsoever, and have even suffered the consequences thereof. But at this point in life, I wouldn't dare try to Wite-Out any of the decisions I've made, no matter how poor, irresponsible, or just plain stupid they may be. I would rather live my life with a line through my mistakes so that the world can see the progress I've made by learning from my poor decisions. I don't wanna cover them up or white them out and pretend they never happened. I don't wanna paint a picture that I'm so holy that I do everything according to the Word of God and I always have and that I never make mistakes. Particularly for the unbeliever, on the one who's faith is weak, I want them to SEE that I once was lost but now I'm found. I want them to SEE what I have overcome because if He did if for me, He can do it for you. I want them to SEE that a breakthrough is within their reach. I want them to SEE that deliverance is not far-fetched. I want them to SEE that there is an unspeakable joy, a peace that surpasses all understanding, and a real love who believes they are to die for.

I'm mature enough to admit I've made mistakes. I'm woman enough to own up to them. And I'm so strong in my faith that I know without a shadow of doubt that I am forgiven.

To the person who's still struggling with the poor decisions you've made...the person who's using layers and layers of Wite-Out...Be encouraged! II Corinthians 5:17 says, "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passes away; behold, all things are become new."

You are more than the choices that you've made. You are more than the sum of your past mistakes. You are more than the problems you create. You've been remade! (You Are More byTenth Avenue North).


~Elle

1 comment:

  1. "Thank you God for the cleansing of all unrighteousness. Without you, I would still be a dirty mess. I am more than my past mistakes because you have remade me. I love you. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen!"

    ReplyDelete