Monday, December 19, 2011

Control Freak

Someone once asked me, "What makes you feel the need to control everything? Why are you always so careful?"


I never responded to this question, but my first thought was that I find a sense of security when I'm in control. I am able to do things the way I like for them to be done, in my own time, and if things go wrong, then I don't have anyone to blame but myself. But when I really think about it, this isn't exactly true. 


There is no safety or security in having full control of myself. And while many interpretations of the Bible use the term "self-control" (ASV, ESV, NIV, NKJV) as a function of the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:23), true safety and security is in being controlled by the Spirit. The KJV of the Bible uses the word "temperance" which is a translation of the word enkrataa [ehn-KRA-ta-yah], which is "the virtue of one who masters his desires and passions" (Strong's G1466). THIS! This is the type of control I would like to have. If I can master my desires and passions to be those things that God would have me desire, I know that the reward will be absolutely amazing.
One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in his temple. (Psalm 27:4)
Now back to the original question, "What makes you feel the need to control everything? Why are you always so careful?" It's a good thing that I didn't answer this question when asked. Because my response would have been something like this: I don't feel the need to always control everything. I just don't trust YOU to control everything."

No comments:

Post a Comment