Friday, December 3, 2010

30 Day Challenge - Day 15: The person you miss the most

People often say, "You don't know what you've got til it's gone." I can see why people use this statement, but in my opinion, it usually applies to people who miss their opportunities to appreciate what they have when they have it.


I miss you more than words can express. I miss you more now than I did 10 years, 11 months, and 1 day ago when Theresa called me and told me you died. And it's not because I didn't know what I had. It's not because I didn't appreciate what I had. It's just that as time teaches its life lessons, i'm finding so many things I wish I could have done with you and for you.


Fortunately I have a gang of memories to comfort me when I miss you most. I remember the times you use to take me and Bill-Bill to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at that theater in Hyde Park, and we use to eat microwave popcorn in the theater (because you could fit everything but the kitchen sink in your purse). I remember that time I thought you were gonna whoop me because I chased Bill-Bill through the glass door (I think I'm the only one you never whooped *big smile*). I remember how you use to pass out what seemed like a hundred white candles to people to burn in their homes on from Christmas Eve to to Christmas Day in celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, the Light of the world. I remember how you use to only wear one earring, and I don't think too many people knew that because I think the family thought I was crazy when I questioned if you had on 2 earrings in your casket. I remember how I use to call you Ma, and how your face lit up the first time I called you Grandma. I swear I thought that was the happiest day of your life. I never saw your eyes light up like that before. 


My favorite memory of them all? "Give me my flowers while I can still smell them." I heard you say that so many times, and in memory of you Granma, I often time visit the florist and purchase a bouquet just so I can smell them and think of you. Just like you, I don't want my funeral to be flooded with flowers. For what? Give em to me now.


I miss you Granma <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive