Monday, November 29, 2010

30 Day Challenge - Day 11: A deceased person you wish you could talk to





WRITE A LETTER TO: Day 11 — A deceased person you wish you could talk to

People speak of you as a legend. Everyone who mentions your name holds you in high regard. The stories I hear always leave me pleasantly amazed, proud to be associated with such...esteem, such...grandeur. 

I have so many wishes! I wish I had a back seat memory of a road trip with you. I wish I had a picture of me sitting on your knee, eyes full of glee as you reach behind my ear and find a big shiny quarter. I wish you were at my McDonald's play land birthday party. I wish I had just one memory, but destiny said otherwise.



Dr. B. F. Paxton, my great-grandfather.

You were not Martin Luther King, Jr., but I've seen you stand by him, marching,* so that my education would be integrated AND equal. You were not C. L. Franklin, but I've seen you reach the masses, preaching Jesus, and Him crucified and resurrected, the one and only living God,** You were not Abraham, father of many nations, but I've seen kings among your descendants. 

If I could have a talk with you great-granddaddy, it would be a looooong talk, because I would want to know everything!













*I've seen a pic of my great-grandfather standing next to MLK. They appear to be chanting...probably singing, "Down in my heart I do believe. We shall overcome someday."

**I've seen and read a book of sermons, hand written by my great-grandfather, dating back to 1956.


Pic dates back to '66 or '67. Talk about prophetic!



3 generations of pastors of True Light Church Baptist:
Rev. Dr. B.F. Paxton (1944-1980)
Rev. Dr. A. Harold White (1980-2002)
Rev. Dr. LaRue F. Kidd (2003-Present)


My great grandfather bestowing knowledge and wisdom upon my father at a young age.

Great granddaddy w/all his grandchildren according to age (Theresa, Daphne, Billy, LaRue) 





No comments:

Post a Comment